This extremely simple, powerful and delicious coconut yoghurt is a natural remedy to boost your natural gut microbiome.
What is the gut microbiome?
Gut microbiota (formerly called gut flora) is the name given today to the microbe population living in our intestine.
Why is it important?
- It helps the body to digest certain foods that the stomach and small intestine have not been able to digest.
- It helps with the production of some vitamins (B and K).
- It helps us combat aggressions from other microorganisms, maintaining the wholeness of the intestinal mucosa.
- It plays an important role in the immune system, performing a barrier effect.
- A healthy and balanced gut microbiota is key to ensuring proper digestive functioning.
Taking into account the major role gut microbiota plays in the normal functioning of the body and the different functions it accomplishes, experts nowadays consider it as an “organ”. However, it is an “acquired” organ, as babies are born sterile; that is, intestine colonisation starts right after birth and evolves as we grow.
Note: It is very important that you sterilise everything that you are going to touch and use. You should wear gloves. Soak the utensils for 10-minutes in boiling water and dry with a fresh tea towel (as shown in the video).
Note: Try to use organic ingredients. You should always read the labels because there are a lot of products with too many unnecessary additives and fillers and we want to avoid those. We used
You will need:
- 100% pure virgin coconut meat
- Cleanest coconut yoghurt you can find
- 100% pure chestnut flour (chestnut flour is naturally very sweet and is also a natural thickener)
- 2 pre/pro-biotics (if you are accustomed to the taste you can use four like Viv does)
- Punnet of raspberries
- Punnet of blueberries
- 1 date
- 1 banana
- Coconut flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Rejuva energy bar of your choice
- Take five or 6 strips of coconut meat
- Add some pure coconut water
- Add one heaped teaspoon of chestnut flour
- Add two – four probiotics
- Whizz the mix together in a Vitamix, Nutribullet or similar
- Pour into your sterile container with an air-tight lid/seal. If you don’t have a specific container, you can use an old coconut oil jar but make sure it has been washed and sterilised first
- Put the container in a cool, dark cupboard for 48 hours before enjoying it
- When it is ready to eat, prepare some fruit to add to the yoghurt to create a trifle-like dessert
- Add a handful of the raspberries and blackberries to a bowl
- Chop the Rejuva bar of your choice into small pieces and add to the bowl
- Spoon the yoghurt over the fruit in the bowl and smooth it over the top
- Sprinkle some of the coconut flakes and cinnamon on top
- Finish with a sliced date and some sliced banana
Purchase Probiotic 11 which has eleven different strains and some prebiotic fibre here
Purchase Rejuva Nutrition products here